Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sisterly Love

Love is a complicated, funny thing. I love my sister to death. Her endless rants when I am trying to think, not so much. I guess I should elaborate. I'm sure you're thinking I am speaking of a younger sister. Wrong. My sister is four years older, and is mentally handicap. We couldn't get a specific diagnosis from doctors. All I know is it may be that she was born "backwards." If there is a technical term, I am not sure what it is. 

To put it simply, she has the mental capacity of about a 4 or 5 year old. She often goes on little rants that are never directed towards any one that is actually there, but usually toward people she actually knows. My friends, usually. She likes to drop the "f" bomb and tell them that it's late and it is time to get up. She has two imaginary friends. Trudy and Pingirl. Where they came about, I couldn't tell ya. Mentioning them to her, however, is key to getting her from a bad mood, to a good one. It seems odd, but 4 and 5 year old's are odd, aren't they? There isn't any reasoning or rationalizing with a 5 year old. Especially one stuck in a 27 year old woman's body. Hardly a simple task.

Change is especially difficult. We've all gone through a lot of that in the last few years. Change is difficult when you can't understand it. She'll never understand why my parents split up or why her and my mom moved. She went from being the most happy go lucky person I have ever known to being sad and difficult. Her moods changed like the California weather. I often got frustrated with her. Seeing my sister upset and unresponsive to me trying to cheer her up broke my heart. All she wanted was my mom a lot of the time, but mom had to work.She couldn't understand that. It kind of felt like I had lost my sister. . I'm happy to say she's gotten better. She still has her moments, but I think with the proper medication she'll be the giggly goober she always was.

No comments:

Post a Comment